West Side Grounds
Tenant: Chicago Cubs (NL)
Opened: May 14, 1893
First night game: Never
Last Cubs game: October 3, 1915
Chicago Cubs tickets:
Location: About two miles west of downtown Chicago. Left field (E), South Wood Street; third base (N), West Polk Street; first base (W), South Lincoln (Wolcott) Avenue; right field (S), West Taylor Street.
Dimensions: Left field: 340 feet; center field: 560 feet; right field: 316 feet.
Recommended Reading (bibliography):
- Take Me Out to the Ballpark: An Illustrated Tour of Baseball Parks Past and Present by Josh Leventhal and Jessica Macmurray.
- The Ballpark Book: A Journey Through the Fields of Baseball Magic (Revised Edition) by Ron Smith and Kevin Belford.
- City Baseball Magic: Plain Talk and Uncommon Sense about Cities and Baseball Parks by Philip Bess.
- Diamonds: The Evolution of the Ballpark by Michael Gershman.
- Green Cathedrals: The Ultimate Celebration of All 273 Major League and Negro League Ballparks by Philip J. Lowry.
- Lost Ballparks: A Celebration of Baseball's Legendary Fields by Lawrence S. Ritter.
- Roadside Baseball: A Guide to Baseball Shrines Across America by Chris Epting.
- The Story of America's Classic Ballparks (VHS).
| || || |
Help us provide a better web site by completing our feedback form
View of West Side Grounds courtesy of the Franklin Digital Collection.
Updated March 2000
Thanks to John Thomas
Tickets to Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Paul McCartney, NCAA Football, College Football Bowl, NCAA Basketball Tournament, Cher Rosemont and Justin Timberlake Chicago provided by Ticket Triangle.
BALLPARKS © 1996-2014 by Munsey & Suppes.